I love that tequila is such a killer spirit and that Margs totally mask the taste so you can drink 10 of them, get shit faced and not taste it going down. Then you dance it off in the bar and sleep it off in the car….. It's a win-win for everyone!!
So, for National Margarita Day I thought I’d invite you into my bitchin’ kitchen and share with you my super-duper, top-secret recipe that is such a hit at parties - I have been known to get invites just because my Margs are soooooo darn amazing! I hope you love them as much as I do!!
Meg’s Super Duper Top Secret Marg Recipe:
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 2 oz. Tequila: You don’t really need the ultra-fancy stuff since you aren’t drinking it straight up, but I do prefer Tres Agaves Blanco- a nice mid-tier priced tequila and it’s organic if that is your thang! But when choosing your tequila, I highly suggest selecting one that is 100% blue agave so the taste is smoooooooth.
- 1 oz. Cointreau: This orange flavored liquor is finer than Triple Sec and has a sexy, orange flavored taste that’s a must for the perfect Marg.
- Fresh Limes: Fresh is the only way to go if you want to create a classy Marg. You could use bottled lime juice but I’m sure you wouldn’t get an invite back.
- Grand Marnier: This is one of my top-secret ingredients! This really puts the Marg over the top.
- Kosher Salt: You can buy this already pre-packaged in a convenient circle container in the alcohol section of the grocery store and it’s all ready for glass dipping.
- Tajin Seasoning: This is my other clutch element. This is the secret ingredient that sends this Marg into another universe. People will “ooooh and ahhhh” at how amazing your Marg tastes! Tajin isn’t for everyone, but it’s definitely got that special, distinct taste that will set your Marg apart.
- Handful of Ice
- Margarita Glass or Big Ass Bowl: The vessel is so important, and all kidding aside, I say “big ass bowl” because having stemware that has a large open mouth is key to making the perfect Marg. A big ass, open mouth glass can hold way more salt around the rim so every sip is a cornucopia of tasty flavors!
- Pitcher: Pro tip - Mixing in a pitcher is waaay easier than trying to mix in the glass, and the consistency of your drink will taste better.
Start by pre chilling your margarita glass - this will make it have that extra special un-expected surprise when you serve your guests.
Squeeze enough limes for a 2 oz. serving of juice. If you prefer, you can strain the pulp, but I like to leave it. It adds character to your cocktail!
Mix both half parts salt with the Tajin seasoning well. The mixture should have a peppered look of half salt, half Tajin.
Mix the lime juice, tequila, Cointreau, and ice in a pitcher and stir vigorously.
Cut up a few limes in wedges, put half aside. Run your glass rim through the center of a lime wedge, coating the edges well with the lime juice.
Dip the margarita glass edge in the salt/ Tajin mixture coating the rim generously. More is more on this!! Trust me on this one ;)
Pour the liquid margarita mixture in the glass and place a lime wedge on the rim to garnish.
For the finale, pour 1 oz. of grand Marnier on the top as a floater for the ace in the hole to the PERFECT Margarita!!
Then toast to the most FABULOUS Margarita you’ve ever had!! Cheers Friends! Happy National Margarita Day!
Peace, Love and FABULOUS Fashion,